Periodontal disease, more commonly called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. But it is also very wide-spread, and a leadingcause of tooth loss. Fortunately, periodontal disease can be treated at The Plano Dentist.
Here are five important things to know about gum disease:
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily oral hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease creates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
One of the scary things about gum disease is that it raises the risk of things like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
Early detection is the best way to protect yourself from gum disease. That’s just one of the reasons why we like to see you for a cleaning and checkup every six months, at The Plano Dentist. We treat gum disease and offer a full range of general dentistry services. Call for an appointment today!
Contact The Plano Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
3115 W Parker Rd Ste C538