Mouth Cancer Prevention In Plano
Oral cancer is a serious threat to the health and livelihoods of thousands of Americans every year. In fact, it is estimated that more than 30,000 people per year in the United States alone are diagnosed with oral cancer.
Mouth cancer’s biggest threat is not being detected early enough. The earlier it is detected and treated, the more likely it is for a positive outcome. Early detection is your protection and because of this, we believe it is important for our patients to do oral cancer screenings, so that if you are diagnosed with oral cancer it can be treated in its earlier stages.
Traditional oral cancer screenings consisted of examining, feeling, and probing around the mouth. Modern mouth cancer screening technologies have provided us with even better ways to help detect oral cancer in its earliest stages.
Here at the Plano Dentist we use Vizilite for our oral cancer screenings. Vizilite is a wonderful technology that helps dental offices to evaluate and identify abnormal cells; this makes it so we can carefully and efficiently determine if oral cancer is present in the patient.
Although these symptoms do not necessarily mean you have oral cancer, consider coming in for a screening if you experience any of these:
- Jaw or tongue pain
- Sore throat with no other apparent flu-like symptoms
- Mouth sores that are healing slowly or not healing at all
- Reddish or white patches on the inside of your mouth
- Loose teeth that have not come from a known physical injury
- Dentures that no longer fit correctly
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- A feeling of something being caught in your throat, without having eaten recently
- Lumps of skin or lining in your mouth that is thickening
Be sure to have your oral cancer screening done every year if you can as part of a routine appointment. If you have further questions about oral cancer or oral cancer screenings, please give us a call today! Our dentist wants to provide this service to everyone in the Plano area, from Frisco to Allen, TX!