Meet Dr. J. Cruz
Dr. Cruz is a native of Dallas, Texas. He attended the University of Texas at Dallas where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences with a Biomedical Sciences Certificate. He received his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree at Texas A&M College of Dentistry with an Education for Healthcare Professionals certificate. After completion of dental school, he was selected to attend the OU College of dentistry AEGD residency program. The program allowed him to perform advanced techniques in dentistry such as: implants, endodontics, oral surgery, clear aligner therapy, and complex treatment planning.
Dr. Cruz provides personal care and attention to patients’ needs. Communication and patients’ understanding of treatment is what Dr. Cruz excels in. He goes above and beyond to ensure patients understand their dental treatment options and what best fits their needs. Dr. Cruz enjoys continuing education courses to further his knowledge and understanding about new dental technology and dental procedures. He continues to learn and grow to provide the most up to date standard of care for his patients. Outside of dentistry, Dr. Cruz enjoys spending time with family and friends. He also enjoys watching the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers!
Dr. Cruz is a member of the American Dental Association, Oklahoma Dental Association, Texas Dental Association, and Spear Study Club.
Meet Dr. Julio Obando
Dr. Julio Obando was born and raised in San Jose, Costa Rica. He graduated from University of Costa Rica as a Doctor in Dental Surgery. During his time as a dental student, he performed duties as a Teacher Assistant in Head
and Neck Anatomy, served as a Student Assembly Representative and was President of the Association of Dental Students. He took studied Business Administration at the Hispanoamerican University of Costa Rica.
After working four years as a General Dentist gaining restorative knowledge and experience; he began his journey towards his real passion… research, surgery, periodontics, and implants.
He was accepted for a Post-doctoral Externship Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). When concluded; he worked as a Research Scholar at UIC studying Genetic Basis of Gingival and Periodontal Pathologies. After culminated, he began his Periodontal Residency Program and his Master’s in Oral Sciences at UIC. Dr. Obando is a board-certified Diplomate in Periodontology and board-certified Diplomate in Dental Implant Surgery by the
American Academy of Periodontology. As well he is certified in IV sedation. Dr. Obando has published several papers and continue doing research in his private practice. He collaborated in writing the textbook of “Advances in Periodontal Surgery 2019”.
Dr Obando enjoys playing tennis, traveling to the beach, and spending time with his wife and family.
Certifications & Associations
Dr. Obando is an active member of:
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Board of Periodontology
- Dallas County Dental Society
- Texas Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- Costa Rican National Dental Association
- Periodontal Residency (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Master in Oral Sciences (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Certificate in Moderate IV Sedation (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Post-doctoral Fellow in Research of Genetics Basis in Gingival and Periodontal
Pathologies (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Periodontal Post-doctor Externship Program (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Licentiate in Dentistry (University of Costa Rica)
- Doctor in Dental Surgery (University of Costa Rica)
- Business Administration Studies (University of Costa Rica)
Dr. Obando’s Academic Achievements
- Thesis Master’s defense: Evaluation of the Clinical Utility and Validity of IL SNPs as Genetic markers for Periodontitis (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- 2nd Place for Poster presentation: Assessment of the Clinical Validity and Clinical Utility ofIL SNPs as Predictors for Periodontitis
- Head and Neck Anatomy Teacher Assistant for Post-Graduate Programs (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Poster presentation: Systemic Sclerosis (scleroderma) and a periodontally involved patient: a case report (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Poster presentation: Assessment of the Clinical Validity and Clinical Utility of IL SNPs as Predictors for Periodontitis (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- IADR 44th Annual Meeting,, Poster Presentation: Efficacy and Efficiency of SNPs as a Genetic Test for Periodontitis
- IADR 43th Annual Meeting,, Poster Presentation: IL-6 SNP rs1800795 Is A Poor Genetic Test For Periodontitis
- Poster presentation: Assessment of Damaging SNPs in Aggressive Periodontitis Associated Genes
- DDS thesis defense: Anterior-Posterior Dimensional (University of Costa Rica)
- President of Dental Student Association (University of Costa Rica)
- Academic Excellence Scholarship (University of Costa Rica)
Dr. Isabella Mejia – The Plano Dentist
After high school, Dr. Mejia was awarded as a National Hispanic Merit Scholar and subsequently earned a full tuition scholarship to The University of Texas at Dallas where she received her Undergraduate Degrees. She graduated in 2011 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Business Administration and a Bachelor’s of Arts in Biology. She obtained her Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree at Texas A&M Baylor College of Dentistry. During her time at Baylor, Dr. Mejia served as Co-President to the Hispanic Student Dental Association.
Dr. Mejia was born in Cali, Colombia and moved to the United States when she was 5 years old. Ironically, she learned to speak English by offering candy to fellow classmates! Ever since she moved to the states, she has been a tried and true Texan! She went to High School at Plano Senior High where she enjoyed playing the violin with the school’s Orchestra and graduated in 2007.
Dr. Mejia wanted a career in the healthcare field where she could help guide her patients towards better health (health is wealth after all!) and one in which she could have an ongoing relationship with her patients, sharing major milestones with them and their families (weddings, babies, new jobs, etc!). She also wanted to do something that could be artistic. She found all of this in the dental field and enjoys helping to make beautiful, healthy teeth!
In her free time, Dr. Mejia enjoys traveling, gardening, cycling with her husband, relaxing with family and friends, and playing with her mini poodle Charley!
Certifications & Associations
Dr. Mejia is certified in oral and laughing gas sedation as well as Invisalign. She is comfortable working with patients of all ages and loves kiddos! Dr. Mejia invites you to get involved in your oral health and feel empowered to ask questions. She is eager to provide you with quality dentistry in a comfortable environment.