Reduce Anxiety Dental Sedation In Plano
It isn’t easy for everyone go to the dentist, and some of us suffer from enough dental anxiety that coming into the dentist’s office to have any sort of procedure can be a real problem. If that sounds like you, do not worry because we can help!
At The Plano Dentist near Allen, TX, one of the options we provide to you and your family is sedation for dental procedures. Sedation dentistry is a safe way to help our patients be more comfortable. Sedation can help with anxiety as well as nervousness, especially with cosmetic or restorative dentistry procedures.
You may want to consider sedation dentistry if you:
- Have a fear of dental work in general.
- Have trouble getting numb.
- Ever had uncomfortable dental visits previously.
- Are having a more complicated dental procedure.
- Have a number of dental procedures you would like to get completed in one sitting.
- Have sensitive teeth.
Sedation Dentistry Techniques Offered at The Plano Dentist
- Laughing Gas – Laughing gas is great for those with a fear of needles because it is inhaled rather than injected. Because it’s a gas, a state of relaxation can be achieved very quickly.
Another benefit of laughing gas is that it exits the body rapidly. Laughing gas levels will be completely absent from a patient’s both within five minutes after the gas has been shut off. This means that patients are able to drive themselves home after their appointment – no companion needed! Laughing gas is also hypoallergenic.
Laughing gas remains the most popular form of sedation available, and if you feel like using laughing gas will make your dental experience more pleasant and comfortable, then please let us know.
- Oral Conscious Sedation – Oral conscious sedation involves the administration of a sedative, typically in pill form, around an hour before your dental procedure. Commonly used sedatives include Valium®, Xanax®, or Halcion®. These medications dramatically decrease your anxiety and allow you to be conscious during your appointment. You won’t remember your appointment, which can be particularly helpful for some patients.
If you need to undergo a long procedure done or would like to combine multiple procedures into one visit, oral conscious sedation can make sitting in the dental chair more pleasant. It can also help patients with a strong gag reflex.
While oral sedation is safe and effective, we will still carefully examine your health history to ensure sure that it’s right for you. Lastly, it’s important to bring a friend or family member to drive you to and from any dental appointments where oral conscious sedation will be utilized.
- IV Sedation – IV sedation, also referred to as “sleep dentistry”, is the deepest form of conscious dental sedation offered by dentists. As its name suggests, IV sedation involves the administration of sedative medications intravenously so that they pass directly into your bloodstream.
Most people who receive this sedation technique will fall asleep and have zero memory of their treatment. This makes IV sedation ideal for patients with an extremely high level of anxiety or those who are undergoing long procedures. Patients who have health issues that make sitting in a dental chair for long periods are also candidates for this method of sedation dentistry.
Have a Soothing Experience at the Dentist!
Dental anxiety or downright fear of the dentist is a common problem for many dental patients, and we are glad to be able to provide excellent options that can help increase your comfort and ability to get the help that you need.
If you have any questions about dental sedation, please give us a call, text, or email! We serve patients all over the Plano area, from Frisco to Allen, TX!