Our teeth work hard and are continually under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. At The Plano Dentist, we remind you that enamel erosion is a common dental health issue, though largely preventable.
Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal conditions, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At The Plano Dentist, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt further erosion if some has already developed.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the NIH, 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion.
- Too-forceful brushing can impair enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as harmful as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, come see us at The Plano Dentist right away. There are several dental procedures that can protect teeth that have been compromised, and improve your dental health. Our services include general and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule an appointment with us right away.
Contact The Plano Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
3115 W Parker Rd Ste C538